User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Epic Graphics Q&A

Battle Record
    1-0

The Epic Graphics Q&A

Sticky please, help me out.

Back when the Graphics Questions thread was active, I enjoyed coming in here. Felt like people were actually learning and getting better, and not to mention it was when the forum was active.

So I'm bringing it back. Any questions you have, AT ALL, throw them in here and I'll do my best to give you a shitload of help. If I don't know something, I'll make it my business to learn it.

Also, have a quick browse of the second post where I'm going to make an attempt to reference all the questions that get asked.

You can ask questions about:
    • Hardware (OS's, Tablets, and similar stuff used for digital design)
    • Software (Photoshop, Corel, MS Paint, prices, suites, tutorials etc)
    • Visualising (The basics of art, drawing/painting/sketching, techniques, products etc)
    • Context (History, styles, iconic things in design and the why's and what's of all the things we do)
    • Other (Anything that doesn't fit into the above, but is still related to this forum)

Shoot, I'm bored.
    Last edited by Rah Gwahn; June 29th, 2009 at 10:44 AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Po'Ethics][Written Voices]

Battle Record
    1-0

Re: The Epic Graphics Q&A

Saved for reference list

when will i see more of your work...cuz ive only seen one thing since ive been here?..haha

but on a serious note...for your images..do you draw them in photoshop...scan them then use the pen tool to clean the lines up then color them...or do you have a tablet?
    ..if that image u used was even hand drawn...which i assumed it was.
    ...i am referring to the purple one you made a while ago.

Battle Record
    1-0

That's one of my earliest fully digital characters, that was experimental at best. I'll be working on a far bigger and better one soon.
    But yeah that one was hand drawn, I hand draw pretty much everything nowadays.

Personally, I think starting from scratch in Photoshop is the worst thing you can do. Because it limits you, you can only go as far as the program.

If you draw first, then you're coming up with original artwork that you can then decide what to do with.
    So, I draw with anything from biro's to wax crayons, just depends. Then I'll put it onto the computer somehow, either to upload as it is, or to re-draw it in Photoshop.
    Drawing in Photoshop I've already covered, I'll try and dig it up and list it in references.
    Start with an image of my drawing as the background layer (scanned/digital), then use the pen tool on a separate layer to go over what I call 'ID lines', which are obviously lines that have to be drawn for the layout, and the areas of 'hard shadow'. Hard shadow would be creases under the eyes, light direction causing shadows on folds of clothing, etc.
    'Hard Shadow' is purely personal choice, I came up with that rule myself to help me develop my certain style of drawing, so your 'Hard Shadow's might be completely different to mine.

Once that's all drawn in, usually in black for obvious reasons, then you just build on separate layers to add colour, tonal colour, extra shadows, then tonal highlights and finally the highlights.

Again, this is my personal method. There's loads of ways to do what I do, but they all start with a pencil and paper.

I don't have a tablet, I've had one but it lasted 2 days until I accidentally wrecked it with a beer bottle. It makes it alot easier, but they're really nifty to learn and take a lot of patience to open up to. Lazy people like me might even prefer to just scan and trace on the computer. It would definitely help if you're not into sketchbooks and stuff though, it's like a magic sketchbook on your computer.

As for my work, I don't really do enough digital work to put up. I used to make sigs constantly, and wacky 500x500 collages. But they're nothing. At the moment I'm too busy working on my hand drawns. I don't make sigs unless it's for me, and I'm usually out living life for about a week at a time - therefore I'm too busy to design anything for free. My time is expensive because I don't have much of it.
    I'll definitely upload some scans of my hand drawn work soon, 'cause I know I talk alot of shit without posting anything

Hope that helped out.
    Last edited by Rah Gwahn; July 7th, 2009 at 02:54 PM

werd..thanks..for this..informative enough for me.
    and i got sketchbooks and shit...but no scanner...
    maybe ill start drawing shit in photoshop...
    and i def feel you on being to busy to do shit for free now.

Battle Record
    1-0

I use a camera phone set to a slightly higher ISO.

Most good cameras/phones should have a document setting for taking pics of paperwork and stuff, if you play around with the light settings as well you can pretty much get a cheap scan-quality picture from your camera phone. That's how I've been uploading my stuff.
    Problem is you have to keep the resolution small to see any worthy detail, and small detail on small camera phone picture = hassle.

Good scanners are cheaper than drugs these days, don't know why I haven't invested yet.

Battle Record
    14-18
    Awards OM HOF PC HOF

how do you know when you've picked the perfect text and blended it well?

AI

Battle Record
    1-0

There is no perfect text. There's imperfect texts, such as when serifs don't match or when there's literally no uniform to the letters, but it's nothing. A good type is clean, functional and basic. Helvetica is a good type, for instance. It can be used for pretty much anything, you just have to apply it well.

Blending text well really depends on your own perceptions. What alot of people fail to realise is that most of their artwork has been pure influence. Something you've seen on TV made you decide to put that effect there, whether you know it or not. Might not have been TV, could be ANYTHING. But it inspired you.
    So what I tend to do is doodle letters all the time. It helps that I do graffiti, so I draw letters in varied styles anyway. Keeps me thinking of, and realising, new ways to look at the same shape.

Just keep looking at good artwork. Anything you'd like to be able to do, or even just be able to understand how it was done, stare at it for ages taking it all in. Seems long winded but with design, you kind of are what you eat. You only design in response to the visual stimulation from your environment.

I'm sure there's loads of text blending tutorials, you could probably pick up a few interesting tips from them. Also, keep trying different things. Always think about the feeling of the text and what it needs to look like. If I'm doing something soft and happy I'll usually play around with effects like Outer Glow. I've found that matching the Outer Glow colour with the colour of the text and then setting it to around 60% Opacity usually gives me a nice fluffy looking letter, but then the colour can quickly change that to a dark, misshapen letter if I wanted it to look evil.

It's all your perception, the more you can see to letters, the more you do to them.

Battle Record
    1-0

Double.
    Last edited by Rah Gwahn; July 15th, 2009 at 05:41 AM

Great thread, sucks its not been active for awhile, but does anyone got any suggestions on vectoring with a tablet, how to use the pen tool properly and such?
    "Im Tha Shit Fooool!!" -Royce Da 5'9''

Situations at a struggle. Bstill's Avatar
    Battle Record
    35-14
    Awards AOTW SOTW 25+ Wins

For ne one who wants photoshop i didnt upload the link but here you go

http://www.mediafire.com/?rhyzezmyn3e

aka GryMe
    Battle Record
    1-7

^ Can any one re up that link??? I need a Copy with a working Serial can't find one ANYWHERE!!!!

Please help me out if you can.... Thanks alot
    N.C.N

Battle Record
    1-0

I'd say your best bet is to look at torrents, you'll be waiting a while before anybody's willing to upload 200-300mb of cracked software and link you to it.

aka GryMe
    Battle Record
    1-7

normally its easy to find man... i found every thing else for anything you want.... just can't get photoshop
    N.C.N

Battle Record
    1-0

I know of a cracked mac version, cs5